Saturday 15 May 2010

Day 3: WithThe Best Will In The World

Yesterday was too irritating to blog about. Besides, I was busy with real, crust-earning life.

But it was an excruciating day politically. The vain Huhne's inability to be ministerial in any sense of the term, preferring his own agenda regarding what he seems to think is the minor issue of nuclear power over policy, thus undermining on Day 2 his own party leader's sworn coalition commitments, was just too much for me to take without crashing my car.

So I let it go, calmed down, made it home and stayed silent. That was healthy. And hey, I've been ecouraged to be a quiet supporter of this stupid marriage anyway, not least by the Conservative Party's central spin machine. "Give it a chance, Den, it's the new politics," they've said. Well, sure. I'm game.

Bullshit. Day 3 and while we have the hangoever of Simon Hughes' Tory-hating performance on Question Time to mull over, a new revolt - from Tory backbenchers, no less, not LibDums - over the 55% Cameron "stability" proposal (which smacks of Day 2 desperation to me), dominated the political news.

But that's been trumped now. Coalition Day 4 will be all about Saint Vinny Cable's (he's now Britain's Business Minister, laughably) desperate calls to Gordon Brown (remember him?) to discuss ways of keeping the "Tories out".

Sorry, fellow moderate Conservatives, but you should understand now why I am measuring this hopeless coalition's lifespan in terms of days rather than months or - and this bit of political confection amused me the most when I heard it from the two leaders involved - in years!

The best will in the world, which is what David Cameron has delivered - and he demonstrated that again, impressively, today in Scotland as his defining, wonderful feature as a genuine leader - cannot alter the potentially perverse motives and vile appetites of the partner you choose to bed.

The Liberal Democrats are appalling bedfellows, not because of the Tories, or even because of their natural woolliness, but because they have no idea of unity in the name of higher purpose, and absolutely no genuine party unity anyway.

Cameron has had a wonderful, heavyweight start, and so has the Tory part of his team. That bodes well.

In contrast, the LibDems look like total lightweights - and totally divided lightweights at that (where's the leadership from Clegg? Why hasn't he slapped Huhne down? Because he can't).

They are, in short, complete jokes - and Cameron, as his stock price rises as he pops up on the world's radar and is recognised as a sound man with a view who seems to be listening, has no need to take any shit from any of these idiots at home.

I feel an ultimatum is actually pretty imminent. It should be. "Hey, Clegg, Mr Deputy Prime Minister. Shape up or sod off."

Well, someone has to say it.

Things fall apart/The Centrists cannot hold...

4 comments:

  1. I just did a post about slimy St. Vince's double-dealing, too, D, they are certainly living up to their reputation - I can't stand that chancer, Huhne, either, in fact, I'd go as far as saying I absolutely detest him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling more bilious about the whole arrangement with every passing hour, let alone day. Cable was a fraud before the coalition, for instance. I can't see how bringing him into the cabinet (the cabinet!) alters that truth about him.

    David Cameron has my support, not 'Doctor' Vinny Cable.

    That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relax D, I've a feeling Cameron and Clegg are giving Cable just enough rope to hang himself with. And let's not forget Osborne, he will be calling Vince to heal if he starts to wander off agreed territory. Failure to listen will see him make a short trip to the vet.

    If the libdems continue to play silly buggers I foresee a split (in team yellow that is) The Orangebookers under Clegg and Laws will remain but St Vince and his puritans will be welcome to bugger off. And there'll still be the same team at the top of government. Besides, Laws and Clegg have more in common with the Ken Clarke wing of the tories than they do with Cable, Huhne, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair points all, but I still think the problem is Clegg's authority. His weakness is only reason a trouble maker like the slimeball Huhne is in the cabinet in the first place. In the end though I realise it's impossible to call, so might as well stay on message for now.

    Huhne, among others, just severely winds me up is all.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts?